If a dislocated elbow, five ear infections (two kids two different times), bronchitis (nearly pneumonia) twice, and a sinus infection weren't enough .... let's add chest pain, abnormal heart rhythm, and a seizure to the fun we've had over the past month. These are all from 4 of my 5 children!!! (should I add: cutting four teeth in two weeks to the list, or is that too "normal"?)
Last Saturday (Nov. 1st) Chandler spent his morning playing basketball in the backyard (enjoying our unseasonable good weather), then he rested and watched a little TV for 20 minutes and then ate lunch. As he stood up to leave the kitchen - getting ready to go mow the lawn - he suddenly complained of very severe chest/heart pain. I sat him down and listened to his heart; it was beating in a very abnormal rhythm. Luckily the pain subsided within a half hour of resting. But after a trip to the weekend-clinic and an EKG, the pediatrician determined that he's probably fine - just has a sinus arrhythmia. Then Wednesday I was notified that the pediatric Cardiologist (who also saw his EKG later) wanted him to refrain from strenuous activities (yah, right - this is Chandler we're talking about) and to come in for another test called an EchoCardiogram. They did this Thursday (Nov. 6th), and it's basically a mini EKG along with an ultrasound of the heart, valves, etc. Luckily, everything was normal and he's totally fine. Whew.
A mere 6 or 7 hours later: I had the baby asleep, boys brushing their teeth, and Marc just barely leaving to go to Home Depot (to buy a snow-thrower ... we're going to be prepared this winter!) before they closed. I was with Carlie and Rachel in their room. Rachel was jumping a bit on Carlie's bed. I told her to stop, but then I turned to go find her pacifier and bear-bear so I could just get her in bed.
I heard a thud and immediately turned back around. Rachel was on the floor in a squatting position with a very weird look in her eyes. I thought it was due to her just hurting herself, so I started to ask her where it hurt. She began to whimper, wouldn't answer, and as I went to put my hands on her torso, she suddenly went limp in her legs and her head arched way back. I didn't know what she was doing till I laid her down on the floor and looked into her eyes. Then I saw the scariest, most horrible thing. Her eyes were really weird, although I don't know exactly how. I don't think they rolled back, but they were glazed over, bulging, or something very weird. Her face turned a little purple, she didn't seem to be breathing, but her mouth did something funky - like gasping or smacking on her tongue or something. I panicked and did NOT know what was happening or WHAT she did to have caused this (I really don't think she hit her head falling off the bed). It looked like I was losing her, and I felt like she was dying. I had Carlie grab the phone and I called 9-1-1. By the time the emergency operator asked me my address and I began to describe what happened, Rachel was snapping out of it and starting to cry. Then she cried and cried and cried standing up in front of me the whole time I was on the phone.
In the meantime, I had instructed Carlie to call Marc on my cell phone. He was still really close by, and he returned home quickly. Rachel eventually calmed down and then Marc carried her downstairs to the living room as we awaited the paramedics. I'm glad she was breathing and normal by then, because it took the paramedics a long time to arrive (10 minutes?). She was very calm at that point, and a little bewildered by all the strangers that poured in (3 paramedics and 1 policeman). Her pupils were fine, NO physical sign of any head injury (not even a red spot somewhere), and the paramedics told us we could decide what to do ... stay home, take her to the hospital ourselves, or have them take her. They kept saying she looked stable and that kids are resilient. I was still a bit in shock and confused about what she did to cause an incident like this. I really wanted to talk to a doctor and get an explanation, but I finally realized that that would involved sitting for hours in an ER while Rachel really needed to sleep. But I was scared to let her sleep! I didn't want to let her out of my sight. Ultimately, we decided to stay home.
As the paramedics left, we were finally getting her to talk - asking her if something hurt. She said no many times. We watched her walk and she was fairly normal - just a tiny bit of weakness or uncoordination it seemed. Then the diagnosis hit me - she probably had a seizure. I was anxious to get out my old nursing textbooks and read and refresh my memory ... but not as anxious as I was to hold her and sing her to sleep.
She slept very peacefully all night (I didn't, as you can imagine), and has been fine ever since. She saw her pediatrician on Monday for an evaluation, and he thinks it was probably a one-time thing, but who knows. My mind still flashes back to that moment, and I hope I never have to see that look on her face again. But I'm finding myself always worried I will.
P.S. Carlie is the only one who has stayed healthy ... and let's keep it that way!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment