On Wednesday we loaded up the car and drove down to Chicago (approx. 3 to 4 hours away). We had a few hours to get a small taste of the city. Marc and the 4 kids did a mad dash around the zoo while I nursed the baby in the car ... you see, we discovered the zoo entrance is free and parking is free for the first 30 minutes (and $14 from 30 to 60 minutes). So, it was the perfect distraction for the kids while I was busy. And we even found the exit of the parking lot with 2 minutes to spare!
We drove past the Sears Tower (but decided not to go up). Then we parked in an underground garage on Michigan Avenue and spent the next several hours walking and shopping the "Magnificent Mile". I think the kids enjoyed seeing so many really tall buildings - plus getting a glance at a few stores like the LEGO store, the American Doll store, NikeTown, etc. was great fun. We forgot the cameras in the car, so we got NO pictures of Chicago! I guess there will have to be a "next time"!
After we got a brief night's sleep at a hotel, Marc and the 3 big kids left at 4:30 am to head to the airport. Marc got them checked in and said goodbye ... the kids flew alone to San Diego, CA, where they were picked up by my sister, Ashley. They said the 4 hour flight was long, but they survived! They had a great weekend in San Diego, then drove back to Phoenix, AZ, with my mom and step-dad. Now they will bounce between my mom's house and Marc's parents' house for the next two weeks.
In the meantime, Marc and I are enjoying our "vacation" at home with just the two little girls. Although the two of them are quite a bit of work, it is so much quieter and more peaceful with the older ones gone. It's refreshing for a change, but it'll be fun to have them return at the end of the month and get them ready to start school after Labor Day!
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Allyson, It is fun to see pictures of the kids and Wisconsin. I hope you are enjoying the quiet. I can't even imagine! Kierstyn is so cute, hard to believe she is already 4 months old. Of course, Rachel turning 2 seems impossible too. I hope the shingles stay away. Can't believe Marc got them. I hear it is torture. Everyone doing better? Take care!
It is so funny to me that you are not in school yet since we are on week 3! Well enjoy the break lucky girl!
Post a Comment