Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shingles and Chicken Pox

Poor Marc began having a lot of neck pain around July 16 or 17, then left for Texas on business on the 20th . On the 21st he called me from TX saying the pain was worse - and now it was red and bumpy too. I demanded that he find an urgent care immediately. He had Shingles! (It's the chicken pox virus from his childhood, which had been lying dormant in some nerves ... now traveling back through the nerves causing a lot of pain and then a chicken pox rash on his neck/shoulder.) What a horrible illness. The poor guy was miserable at home in bed for the next week ... and then he returned to work (but still kind of miserable - the pain is still there).

During this time, we kept the kids at a distance from him - especially the baby (the only one of the children not yet immunized against Chicken Pox). But I guess we didn't do a good enough job. Baby Kierstyn started showing the classic bumps on Friday night (August 1st). By this morning (Sunday), I only counted about 25 spots. The doctor saw her today - verifying that it is indeed Chicken Pox. However, it's a mild case (probably because she's receiving immunities through breastmilk) and she doesn't seem bothered! No fever, fussing, or anything, really! Let's hope it stays that way. Although I dreaded this happening, I guess it's not bad considering she won't scratch them!
[above and below: the first few spots - pictured on Saturday]

[below: more spots on her scalp, pictured on Sunday]

3 comments:

Karyl said...

Oh no! Your poor hubby and baby. My mom came down with shingles when Brent was a baby and we didn't see her for about a month so as not to expose Brent to chicken pox (even though they swear shingles are not contagious). I hope they are both feeling better.

The Ridings said...

The poor baby! (ofcourse I mean Marc) LoL!!

The Ball Family said...

Oh no!! I am so sorry. I hope that they both start to feel better soon!