Thursday, October 30, 2008

Brute Strength of a 2 year old

Baby Kierstyn has gotten very used to the chaos and rough-handling of having 4 older siblings. She usually takes most of it in stride - only fussing or crying if she's truly hurt (and usually I can calm her down quickly). However, we had the lovely experience of a more serious injury caused by her loving, doting, 2 year old big sister: Rachel.



I believe Rachel holds many emotions in her heart for her baby sister: love, adoration, excitement to have a playmate, playful teasing, and sometimes jealousy. When the jealousy begins to win, her judgement fades and she's not so gentle anymore! This must've been one of those times.



While Chandler held the baby on his lap, Rachel stood next to him to hold Kierstyn's hand ... one of her favorite things to do. But then she decided to pull ... hard, harder. Soon the baby was screaming. I took her right away to calm her down (but instantly knowing it must've been serious since she's usually not too phased by Rachel's roughness), but she was in pain. Over the next hour, she cried, fussed, and barely moved her left arm. A trip to the doctor's office revealed normal x-rays, but a probable "nurse-maid-elbow" ... a dislocated elbow. Sure enough, the doctor was able to pop it back into place (while Kierstyn SCREAMED), then I nursed her and got her calmed down, then VOILA! She was normal! She reached with that arm, used it, and was back to her normal self. I could've kissed the doctor. Okay - not really, I promise! It was just soooo great to have an instant solution (especially one that didn't involve a cast for several weeks ... particularly because it was on the same arm of the thumb that she sucks to go to sleep!). Needless to say, Rachel has tried harder to be more gentle with her baby sister whenever she feels the urge to touch her or hold her hand! She cried and felt terrible right after the injury happened - I love it when I see compassion and remorse in a two year old!

1 comment:

Dan and Ashley said...

SOOOOO Crazy!! I am so glad little Kiki is doing just fine.