Thursday, December 6, 2007

St. Nick in Wisconsin

There's a tradition in other countries (ie. Europe ... I learned about it first hand during my semester in Austria years ago) that involves the children setting out their shoes on the night of December 5, and the morning of the 6th they discover that St. Nick secretly filled them with candy/presents. In California, the children came home talking about this tradition as they learned about Christmas traditions around the world in school.

Naturally, when all three kids came home talking about it this year, I nodded and said, "Yes, that's something that happens in other countries." But this year I was met with resounding NO's, as Carlie and Caleb both insisted that it truly happens. I was baffled, not sure how they could've interpreted that from the usual "Christmas around the world" lesson at school. The talk continued for several days until the evening of the 5th when I found Caleb trying to put his shoes on the front door step (outside). I wouldn't let him, as we were expecting snow (and needed his shoes to stay dry!). He was a bit upset, and continued to try to sneak them out when I wasn't looking. Again, I was perplexed at his belief in St. Nick.

It wasn't until Marc arrived home from work and we chatted alone later (after the kids were asleep) that we figured it out. Thanks to information from Marc's secretary at work, we discovered that this tradition is alive and well in Wisconsin. She advised us that we might want to have St. Nick visit our children since every other child at school will be talking about it the next day! Yes, indeed she was right! Luckily, St. Nick did visit our 3 big kids and left them a piece of candy and a kid-sized snow shovel. Here's a picture of Rachel with one of them.

1 comment:

Karyl said...

I am really enjoying your initiation into Wisconsin traditions! I learned about St. Nick when I started dating Steve and his family whole heartedly celebrated St. Nick. We still celebrate it in California, but no one else has a clue what we are talking about and we always forget if he comes on the night of the 5th or 6th!